Bradford County in Pennsylvania is an example of a town stooped in history and culture. There are many events that have happened here; people who did great things that hailed from this place; and a lot of structures where events have happened or famous people have passed through. It’s a very fortunate occurrence of events that placed Bradford in Pennsylvania’s historical map.
There are many places in Bradford that lent their piece to history. These are only a few of them.
Bradford County’s Courthouse (Towanda)
Bradford County’s famous Courthouse has been a very influential structure in the town and a pride of the county. It was first constructed in 1898 and has been one of the most recognizable buildings in the town. Perhaps the most noticeable feature that will alert you about it is the octagonal dome, a structure that sits about seventy feet from the main floor.
Dogwood Trail (Wyalusing and Wysox)
The Dogwood Trail is a part of history that Pennsylvania is really proud of. It extends from Wyalusing to Wysox, regions found in the County, and was witness to a great many families mourning the loss of their loved ones—soldiers who fought for the country. The Trail has been recognized as early as 1930 when the Daughters of the American Revolution organization planted it.
Knapp’s Covered Bridge (Knapp’s Hill)
A rather picturesque bridge that may have played a part in a movie or two, the bridge can be found near Knapp’s Hill. It spans the Sugar Creek for at least a century or more. The architecture of the bridge features the “Burr Arch Truss” design. Due to old age and weathering, the bridge received renovations in 1961 and again in 1963 to ensure that it can be used another hundred years or so.
Underground Railroad (Sugar Run, Rummerfield, Towanda and Ulster)
A tribute to a dark chapter of the country’s history, Bradford County’s Underground Railroad played a part in the important struggle of the nation’s African-American citizens. Once slaves, they escaped to Canada using the ‘railroad’ network. Before them, the Native Americans as well as General Sullivan traveled through these parts. Rummerfield also has a hotel known as the “Old Tavern” where slaves hid for a while before proceeding northward to freedom.
Van Dyne Civic Building (Troy)
It was originally christened the Troy Courthouse when it was constructed in 1894. Finding room for a school, E. Everitt Van Dyne purchased the building and later gave it to the Troy School District. It played a part in the formation of many of the community’s youngsters—from being a community center to becoming home of many organizations like the Red Cross and Civic League, the building was at the forefront of the county.
There are many other places you can visit in Bradford that has been a part of history. These ones, however, played an important part in nation-building and economy.